Monday, October 27, 2008

Our Little Pumpkin


Saturday was my birthday... my first as a mom!  It goes without saying that I already have the best gift I could ever ask for or get, but I got some other cool things, too.  Mark skipped cutting the grass at church, at my request (plus it was raining) and stayed home and cooked a big, yummy breakfast of pancakes and eggs and waffles.  I was presented with a card "signed" by Anna Kathryn to her mommy (a squiggle) with some help from Daddy.  This is what I overheard as they worked on the card: "No... don't eat the pen... or the card... good job, Anna Kathryn!"

Mark went out later on for a haircut while I stayed home with Little Miss Sunshine to do some things around the house, put her down for a nap, and get a shower.  When Mark came home, he had more goodies:  a gift certificate for a spa afternoon (massage, facial, and manicure) and for a new Vera Bradley pocketbook.  Mine is starting to shred, so I was very excited about that gift. Can't wait for the massage, either-- I still can't seem to get rid of the neck ache I developed in China.  A day of pampering is always a perfect gift!  Mark always does a fantastic job on the gift front.  

Lots of cards and well-wishes came in the mail, on the phone, and via Facebook from friends and family.  Allison gave me this book and I am pleased to say that it is maybe a little trashy, but fun.  I feel so loved... thanks, everyone!!

In the late afternoon the sun finally peeked out, everyone got up from their naps, and we headed out to a local farm to visit the pumpkin patch, go on the hayride, and visit the petting zoo with Allison, David, and Maggie.  Lots of fun, and Anna Kathryn helped pick out 2 cute little pumpkins after we visited the animals in the barn.  She didn't mind the smells and sounds at all.  In fact, Mark caught her chewing a little on the metal gate to the cow pen ((shudder)).  


Anna Kathryn has learned how to clap and everything is worthy of applause-- especially an outing to the pumpkin patch!

Mark thought Anna Kathryn needed to get up close and personal with the pigs.  


Anna Kathryn and Daddy meet-- and pet-- the goats.  

Our little pumpkin... waving "bye-bye" (she can almost say it, too!)

 Why are Allison and I the only ones smiling in this picture?

Skipping along with "March"

Our family, October 2008

Anna Kathryn was so tuckered out from all the fresh air and family fun that she conked out on the way to dinner, and continued to snooze in my arms as we waited for a table (I managed to sip my drink without spilling it on her...or me... there's some mom multi-tasking for you!).  We had a long and totally indulgent dinner at Firebirds.  I had a pomegranate martini (so so good), homemade potato chips with blue cheese, a filet with parmesan mashed potatoes, and creme brulee cheesecake.  There are no calories in food on one's birthday!  

Then Allison and I decided we needed to go to Old Navy, so we dragged the kids and guys there. We bought new yoga pants.  In black-- a winter wardrobe workhorse.  My old ones are dead and have paint splattered on them.  We both needed new ones, plus there was no way I was going to try anything else on with such a full belly!  They had some kind of pre-Halloween promotion going, so I got 31% off the pants-- yay!  Always nice to get an unexpected bargain.  The guys were thankful to get out of the store fairly quickly and really cheaply.  After that, home to bed, dreaming of pumpkins and cheesecake.  

 It really was the happiest birthday I have had in a long, long time.  

4 comments:

a Tonggu Momma said...

Happy Birthday!!!!! (A little late, but it still counts, right?)

Kristi said...

Happy Birthday! Anna Kathryn and Maggie looked way too cute in their coordinating shirts! AK is soooo adorable! Glad that you were pampered for your birthday!

The Gang's Momma! said...

Aaaaaaw, Happy Birthday! I'm so thrilled for your awesome day. I can't remember the last time I read such a sweet blog post. And the pics? LOVE THEM!

I'm curious about the yoga pants at ON - I may have to check them out when I'm at the mall tonite . . .

Allison said...

The girls' expressions are hilarious in that picture with us. They look a little world weary, I think.
We had a ball with all of you on Saturday!