Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Day 5: Forever Family Day

We left for Nanchang late Monday afternoon after a much-needed and appreciated day of rest. The flight to Nanchang was about 2 hours, on China Eastern Airlines. I wish I'd remembered to snap a photo of the gate. We had a little extra time before the flight, so we stopped for a snack. It was Black Forest cake, and it was the first time I'd had chocolate in almost a week. I'd have a picture for you, but I ate it too fast. Plus, unlike in Beijing, where Blogger uploaded my photos with lightning-like speed, here in Nanchang it is taking about 5 minutes per picture. So I am going to have to edit this down to the good stuff: Gotcha Day (that's why you are all reading this anyway. Who cares about cake? ).

Here we are, about to say goodbye to the group and our tour bus. It was hard to leave all of these folks who have turned into friends already. I'm glad we'll be meeting again in Guangzhou.

We got to Nanchang just fine, met our guide, Sally, and headed for the Gloria Grand Hotel. It's nicer than the one in Beijing. We learned that they would bring Anna Kathryn to us at the hotel around 11:30 AM. The butterflies began.  The only thing to do was go to bed so tomorrow would come quicker!

In the morning, we went and ate (somehow, I managed to scarf down a lot of breakfast). We met another American family in the restaurant -- which is, strangely, a German-style restaurant-- who had their new daughter with them. They were so nice and even shared some Chinese formula with us, since we hadn't made it to the grocery store yet and didn't want to leave our hotel in case the group from the orphanage came early.  We got a crib, stroller, and baby bathtub delivered to our room, watched a little CNN, and checked e-mail while we waited.

At 11:15 AM, we heard a knock at the door.  And after all the years of waiting, it took just a minute to have her in my arms.  She is perfect.

Presenting Anna Kathryn BoDi Kovach:

Greeting the group from the orphanage.  Sally, our guide, is holding Anna Kathryn.  The man in the pinkish shirt is the director, and the lady with the sunglasses is (I think) the supervising Nanny.  She knew AK well but didn't solely care for her.
Here she is!


Our first family photo
After the orphanage contingent moved on to take another baby to her parents, we comforted her and played a little.  AK didn't seem overly distressed until the first (and way overdue) diaper change.  Tears flowed.  We decided bottle next, since she'd had a 4-hour bus ride and had napped on the way.

First bottle:

Then it was playtime.  Mark, the baby whisperer, swung into action.

After a trip to the lobby to change money-- we found out all of our appointments would be the same afternoon and all would be finalized today!!-- and order lunch, we headed upstairs for another bottle and a short nap.  She fell asleep in my lap.  Bliss. 


At 2:30, we were off, along with another AWAA family, to our appointments.  first, the Civil Affairs office.  It was stifling hot, and Anna Kathryn was sleepy, but so well-behaved (the Chinese say "self-disciplined").  We answered some super-easy questions about ourselves and promised to educate Anna Kathryn, and gave the official a gift (standard practice here-- ours was coffee, snack mix, and candy).

 Next, off to the notary.  This is like going before a judge. He looked at our paperwork, asked similar questions about ourselves, and wanted to know if we were satisfied with the baby.  Delighted is more like it, but we just said yes, we were.  He seemed nice and smiled at us and the baby.  Another gift given, we received our little red book with the adoption decree, and we were done.

When we got back in the van Sally told all of us that it was official, the adoption is finalized, and we are all forever families.  Sherri, the other mom, and I hugged and cried a little at that news.  We had a mini-celebration as we careened through the traffic toward the passport office.  All we had to do there was get a photo of AK for her passport.  Appointments finished in 2 hours!

So, now we have the next 5 days here in Nanchang to bond, play, and hang out and wait for the passport.  We went out to dinner with the family we met at breakfast and the mom asked how motherhood felt.  It's wonderful, but it's all happened in a matter of hours.  The whole experience seems "surreal, but nice"  (does anyone else know that movie quote?).

It's 6 AM here-- Anna Kathryn was so tired when we got in from dinner we put her to bed straightaway after another bottle.  She ate a ton of rice and eggs at dinner, too.  Mark and I followed at 8:30 (hee).  Guess who was awake at 3:15 AM?  Now Mark and baby are snoozing again and I think I will join them.  

Good night from China!  Love, Mark, Kimberly, and Anna Kathryn

PS-- Another family in our travel group got to their daughter's province to find that she is critically ill.  They are afraid if they can't get the rest of the trip and paperwork expedited and get her to an American hospital, she may not make it.  Please pray for Charlie, Leslie, and Susannah (the little girl).

24 comments:

Hillary said...

WOW!!! I am loving this post more than the others!! I am so very happy for you and crying right now as I was reading this. Bryan just kept saying, "Kimmie's got her baby!" What a perfect sentiment. I cannot wait to meet her. And I can appreciate the 3:!5am thing...Alie is on that same schedule! Love you!

P.S- the quote is from Notting Hill!

Allison said...

YAY! I have been checking and checking! I am so glad to see sweet Anna Kathryn finally in your arms! She is beautiful!

Shannon said...

Im so happy for you! I cant even imanage how happy you are right now. From our family to yours
Love
Shannon

Unknown said...

We can't wait to meet her! She is so perfect! There arent words to express how happy we are for yall!

Sending lots of love your way,
Leslie & Caleb
:)

a Tonggu Momma said...

So very happy for y'all!!! This brings back so many memories... especially since we stayed in the Gloria Hotel as well.

It's fun to finally see some of the staff, since my friend who adopted from Poyang did so when all of the children were first transferred because it was before Poyang joined the IA program.

Joni said...

God Bless the three of you! I have been checking your web site about every couple of hours waiting and waiting for the post and pictures. I guess you where just a little busy getting to know your beautiful daughter. It is amazing Mom and daughter both have such dark hair. Oh what a beautiful smile she has for her Dada. I have such happy tears that I had to call your Mom. Needless to say you can hardly speak through all the emotions. I have lunch with your parents yesterday and I printed pictures for her of all three of her granddaughters. Your dad said he could not wait to get his hands on AK. Enjoy the rest of your stay in China. Have a safe trip home. God is awesome and works in wonderous ways.

Anonymous said...

Well, Momma, how exciting is that!!! I am so happy for you!! ( I've been checking every hour since a about 6 o'clock this morning!!) Bill and I couldn't help but tear up a bit reading about your amazing day! She is just beautiful...we can't wait to see her and Austin can't wait for a little play-date! Enjoy the rest of your trip. Our love to all three of you!
~Bill and Rachel

Pam said...

I've been waiting for pictures, too!!!! Congratulations, she is perfect, and lovely, too!

Pam

Anonymous said...

I have tears in my eyes because this little girl is blessed to have such wonderful parents. She is amazing. I know that best moment of your life was when she slept on you. Her smiles are so sweet. I cannot wait to meet her! Take care of yourselves and I will see you soon!

Anonymous said...

Kimberly & Mark...she is beautiful and already seems so happy. Good luck over the next few days and just enjoy her.

KCooper

Anonymous said...

We are so happy for you all. I too was so excited I called your mom and I had been checking the website all day long at school today. We can't wait to meet her!
Mary, Matt, Hannah and Peyton

Laurie said...

What beautiful pictures- such a happy family! Your sweetie is just precious!! I hope the rest of your trip is wonderful! Enjoy, and thanks for sharing your journey with us!

Laurie (AW's WC list)

Barb said...

I have been waiting and waiting to see these pictures! She is SO sweet and she is finally yours!!!

Anonymous said...

Ooh! Yay for you all! She is WAY too cute for words. Happy Forever Family Day! Jane G.

Anonymous said...

Our favorite comment was "Mark, the baby whisperer"! Your little darling is too adorable...and you, Kimberly, were just beaming(probably the biggest smile I've seen you makesince your wedding day)in one photo too. It is bliss, as you say! We also can't wait to see you all again.
Love, Aunt Celia and Uncle Dick

Anonymous said...

Celia just sent me your blog info and I love reading your journey and am so excited to have little Anna Kathryn in our family. She is adorable and we can't wait to meet her. I thought about you at my prayer meeting today with 6 other girls and we all prayed for you just when you were meeting Anna Kathryn for the first time. God is so great! Much love, Mary, Danny, Graham and Katie Wannall

Unknown said...

Congratulations! I am so excited for you! Being a parent is such a blessing! Your new baby girl is beautiful! My thoughts and prayers are with you and also with your new friends. I pray that they make it back to the states on time.
Enjoy the rest of your trip and getting to know Anna Kathryn..

Melissa

Anonymous said...

Precious! You guys all look just as happy as you deserve to be. Keep the pics coming.
Leslie

Anonymous said...

Hey Kovach! Congratulations to you and your hubby! She is absolutely adorable! What a blessing, huh?!! As I eagerly read your blog, tears started to flow...very happy "feel good" tears. I am so excited and just can't wait to see her and hold her. She is just precious! I will keep all of you in prayer...savor every moment you have together. You are truly blessed! Love and Hugs! CBroome

Bonnie said...

Just beautiful! She is gorgeous. The picture of her sleeping on your lap . . .priceless! May God protect you all as you finish your journey!

Kristi said...

What a perfect family of three! She's a doll and I'm so happy for you! Love the picture of her snoozing on your legs! Can't wait to read (and see pictures) more.

Anonymous said...

YEA!! Congratulations! We are so happy for you and Mark! Can't wait to meet Anna Kathryn in person!

Love,

Emily & Paul

JB Williams said...

Mark and Kimberly,
I am so excited for all three of you! I love the picture of Mark and Anna Kathryn and also of the picture of her sleeping on your lap. I'm sure you didn't mind! Good luck with the 3AM feedings and have a safe trip home!

Jen Williams

Anonymous said...

My heart is so full-i would have respondedsooner but my school email dumpedthe blog site-she is more beautiful that the pictures...how excited i am for you and Mark-the angels are smiling and God rejoices...so do we.Linda